Perhaps more than you think!
The most important functions of your kidneys are the removal of excess water and other impurities from the blood and balancing body fluids.
If your kidneys do not remove these wastes, the wastes build up in the blood and damage your body. Kidney disease can sometimes lead to kidney failure.
Diabetes, high blood pressure and a family history of kidney failure are the leading causes of kidney failure. If you have diabetes and high blood pressure, it is very important for you to manage these – why?
Kidney disease often has no symptoms, it can go undetected until it is very advanced, but if kidney disease is found early, lifestyle changes can increase the life of your kidneys. If the kidneys fail completely, they don’t often recover. People with kidney failure, also known as end-stage kidney disease, need dialysis or a transplant to stay alive
7 secrets to good kidney health
- Drink six glasses of water a day.
- Healthy, balanced eating habits, to control weight and blood pressure. Preventing diabetes and high blood pressure will help keep kidneys in good condition.
- Regular moderate physical activity, because this can stave off weight gain and high blood pressure.
- No smoking, because smoking can damage blood vessels, which decreases the flow of blood in the kidneys. Inadequate blood flow inhibits their function at optimal levels. Smoking also increases the risk of high blood pressure as well as the risk of kidney cancer.
- Limit alcohol. Chronic drinking can also cause liver disease and can increase your chance of high blood pressure.
- Do not take over-the-counter medication on a regular basis. Some drugs are known to cause kidney damage and disease if taken regularly.
- All Reflexology sessions include treatment of the kidneys, aimed at keeping them functioning effectively. Dietary and lifestyle habits are also integrated, to manage your kidney health, according to your special needs.
1 minute health tip: Traditional Chinese Medicine teaches us that the kidneys are the fountain of youth, the foundation for a healthy, vital life and for graceful longevity.
Kidney disease strikes silently. If you want help in keeping your kidneys functioning efficiently, then consider this an invitation to get in touch to schedule a Reflexology appointment.