Are you suffering from “sitting disease”? Studies connect prolonged sitting to poor health, including mushy abdominals, tight hips, leg pain, weak and stiff spine, neck and shoulder pain, excess body fat around the waist, heart disease, diabetes, abnormal cholesterol levels, and more……….
What Causes It?
Being sedentary has become the new “normal”. Whereas our ancestors spent the large bulk of their waking hours on the go, modern life entails sitting: if we’re not sitting in front of the TV, we’re sitting behind the wheel of our cars, or sitting behind a desk at work.
And, all those workouts in the gym won’t make up for the damage caused by prolonged sitting. “You can’t offset 10 hours of sitting with one hour of exercise”.
What’s The Solution?
Tips to Counter “Sitting Disease” (from the Heart Foundation)
- Take regular breaks from your computer. Get up and take a walk around every 30 minutes.
- Rotate standing tasks and sitting tasks across your shift.
- Don’t want to miss your favourite TV program? Stand up to watch it and do the ironing or wash the dishes at the same time.
- Stand to read the paper.
- Wash your car by hand instead of using the drive-through car wash.
- Move around the house while you check your text messages and emails on your mobile phone
- Leave your car at home. Walk or cycle at least part of the way to where you’re going. Take public transport and walk to and from the stops/stations. Or park your car further away from your destination and walk the rest of the way.
Reflexology, the way I do it, restores muscle function, improves joint mobility, decreases musculoskeletal pain, reduces muscle imbalance and reduces stress.
If you want effective results to counter the negative effects of “sitting disease”, feel free to get in touch any time. Our aim is to give you a sustainable solution that gets you feeling healthier and enjoying better energy and vitality.
Best in health & wellness
P.S. Self-care is a priority, not a luxury. Take care of yourself like you would take care of someone you love.