That Sugar Film” is a movie that is showing right now and I highly recommend you see it. Damon Gameau embarks on a 60 day experiment to document the effects of a high sugar diet on a healthy body, consuming only foods that are commonly perceived as ‘healthy’. Damon highlights where sugar lurks on supermarket shelves. It will forever change the way you think about ‘healthy’ food.
We learn from the movie, (see picture), that the average Australian consumes approximately 40 teaspoons of sugar per day and that 80%, of the food on your supermarket shelves contain hidden sugar!
Sugar has been implicated in contributing to obesity, diabetes, cancer, depression, anxiety and hyperactivity, heart disease and stroke, acne, headaches, fatigue, violent behavior, immune weakness and dental problems.
High fructose corn syrup (sugar alternative made from corn starch) is loaded into your soft drinks, fruit juices, sports drinks, and hidden in almost all processed foods. It has far-reaching consequences for your health and is the number one contributing factor to the obesity epidemic. Here are measures of how many teaspoons of sugar are contained in various popular foods and drinks (data from various sources):
- Snickers bar – (57g) – 7 teaspoons
- Marshmallows – (100g) – 14.5 teaspoons
- Frosted flakes – (100gms) – 8.9 teaspoons
- Special K – (100 gms) – 3 teaspoons
- Doughnut with jam -3.5 teaspoons
- Choc Chip Muffin – 4.75 teaspoons
- Ice cream – (1 scoop) – 3 teaspoons
- Red Bull – (1 can) – 7.5 teaspoons
- Premium Lager – (1 pint) up to 9 teaspoons
- Vodka and Coke -6.5 teaspoons
- Smirnoff Ice – (30g) – 7.5. teaspoons
- Grape Juice – (350ml) – 12 teaspoons
- Iced Tea – (350ml) – 12 teaspoons
- Coca Cola – (1 can) – 7 teaspoons
1 minute health tip: Curb sugar cravings by keeping your blood/sugar stable.
If feeling good is important to you, energy-giving dietary habits are vital. Healthy balance eating is one of the elements dealt with in all our Reflexology and Craniosacral therapy treatments.